The Year 10 Curriculum at Dalby State High School is designed to provide a strong foundation for students to transition to Years 11 & 12 with the content and skills required to experience success. For this reason, all of the subjects offered in Year 10 are regarded as Foundation subjects. These foundation subjects are designed to prepare students for the specific subject requirements of Years 11 & 12.
New Queensland Senior Assessment and Tertiary Entrance System
In order to prepare students for the new language and subjects of the incoming system, the foundation subjects offered for Year 10 in 2019 have been designed to link with the relevant senior subject offered in the new system.
Two main features of the new system include:
- The introduction of an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) for eligible students
- A new senior assessment model that combines school-based assessment and external assessment
Because one of the major components of the new system focusses on Tertiary Entrance, the language of the subject offerings in this handbook identifies subjects in the following way:
- General/ATAR foundation subjects – These subjects provide the foundation for General Subjects in Years 11 & 12. The primary pathway for General Subjects is to be eligible for attaining an ATAR to enable entry to university after completing Year 12.
- Applied/work orientated foundation subjects – These subjects provide the foundation for Applied Subjects or other vocational options in Years 11 & 12. The primary pathway for Applied Subjects is work and vocational education after completing Year 12.
Year 10 Core Program (2 student choices – 1 English & 1 Mathematics)
Extension English - Apollo Aristotle^
Extension Mathematics - Apollo STEM^
Science - Apollo STEM^
Health & Physical Education^
Year 10 Elective Program (3 student choices)
Civics and Citizenship^
Drama in Practice*
Economics and Business^*
Engineering Principles and Systems - Design^
Engineering Principles and Systems - Graphics*
Food and Fibre Production (Agricultural Science)^*
Food Specialisations (Hospitality)*
Materials and Technologies Specialisation - Fashion*
Materials and Technologies Specialisation - Wood & Metal*
Sport & Recreation*
Visual Arts in Practice *
^ General/ATAR senior subjects.
* Applied/work orientated senior subjects.